Water Quality Report 2015 (303.5 KiB, 292 hits)

From L to R: Ron Behrends, Jeremy Griepenstroh, Jay Theye

On March 2, 1909 the public voted on a bond proposition to build waterworks and sewer systems. The bond was passed and began the construction. The water treatment plant was built in 1940 and was designed then to remove iron and manganese from the wells and had a capacity of 600 gpm. It consisted of a forced-draft aerator, 15,000 gallon detention tank, two 9×12’ gravity sand filters, a 2000 gpm backwash pump, chemical feeders and miscellaneous associated equipment. In 1968, the City put the water department under the direction of the Board of Public Works. In 1972, the 1,500,000 gallon ground-level concrete reservoir was built near 25th & U Streets. It was connected to the system through a 16” main to 12th & N Streets. In 1989, a second set of filters was installed to allow for increased capacity needs. This increased the plant capacity to 1200 gpm. In 2003, two new clear wells were built with a total capacity of 400,000 gallons, replacing a 200,000 gallon clear well that was built in 1914, with a total cost of $578,230.

Currently, the Board of Public Works maintains twelve wells that can deliver up to 1,728,000 gallons per day of high quality, filtered, disinfected and fluoridated water to all Auburn residences. Tight soil formations yield extremely pure water. The water system continues to meet all state and federal regulations. Additionally, the BPW is responsible for the maintenance of 190 fire hydrants, 30.5 miles of water lines, and supplies water services to approximately 1,600 customers. All usage is metered with the exception of fire protection. Water meters are read every month to ensure accuracy and control leaks.

Testing during the summer of 2009, revealed that three of ten wells are directly under the influence of surface water and the community was given 18 months to comply with current requirements of a higher level of filtration and disinfection. And with the current design and the increased use of chlorine, equipment inside the plant has deteriorated to a point that replacement of the equipment was the only option. Therefore, the BPW built a new Water Treatment Plant. The new plant is located at the corner of 9th & F Streets. The new plant is a major improvement and will improve our operational efficiencies tremendously. In the past, when we washed our filters weekly, all of the water was wasted. We wasted over 1,248,000 gallons of water a year due to backwashes. We are now able to match our pumping flows to the rated capacity. The new plant has a rated capacity of 1600 gpm, compared to the current plant’s capacity of 1200 gpm, with room for growth to 2400 gpm. The new plant utilizes the existing clear wells, and we have changed the operation of the clear wells by splitting our flows and using these as a detention tank for better disinfection of the treated water. This is part of the requirement of water under the influence of surface water. The new plant was completed in the spring of 2011.

  Approved Auburn BPW Water Construction Standards (1.8 MiB, 1,341 hits)