On January 3rd, 1939, the Auburn City Council passed a resolution establishing the Board of Public Works. The city acquired the electric system from the Western Public Service Company for the purchase price of $352,000.00. This included a power plant housing three engine generators with a capacity of 1207 kilowatts. In 1939, the system served 1,604 customers.
The Board purchased the bulk of their power, during peak seasonal demand or whenever practical. Economy power was purchased from the Municipal Energy Agency of Nebraska, Omaha Public Power District and Western Area Power Administration. By being able to purchase economical power, the Board of Public Works has managed to keep local power costs down throughout the years.
The service center and warehouse were completed in January of 1987, which allowed for inventory storage, vehicle and equipment shelter, shop work areas and offices.
Currently, the Board of Public Works, supplies electricity to 2,930 customers in Auburn, Brownville, Johnson, Nemaha and surrounding rural areas. The power plant contains six engine generators with a capacity of 18,860 kilowatts. The power plant is capable of covering the system’s peak load, however the Board purchases power from Western Area Power Administration and Nebraska Public Power District. The Board of Public Works has long-term contracts in place to ensure reliable supply and cost based rates. BPW has approximately 310 miles of distribution lines with distribution voltages of 4,160 and 12,470, as well as transmission voltage of 69,000. The Board currently employs 26 full time employees and a board of 5 local citizens.
Tree Trimming and Removal (199.6 KiB, 69 hits)